Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wow - this is intense.

I LOVE church production! I love lighting, video, creative elements. I love creating relevant experiences for the churched and unchurched alike. I love taking "the world's" music and using it for our purposes - tying it into themes that serve the purpose of sharing Jesus.

That's my job.

The Meeting House does a pretty good job of it.

So what is it about this video from Buckhead Church (a campus of Northpoint - whom I have alot of respect for) that strikes me as "too much?"

We always tread the fine line between relevant, and over-produced. Maybe it's my evergrowing passion for Africa that makes this seem over-the-top. It's not a secret around here that I'm feeling less passionate about this stuff personally. I know that what I do is very important for The Meeting House to function... but I'm personally less and less excited about "production" in the church context. I'm just becoming more passionate about using my skills to serve people in Africa and helping our community engage with that part of the world, as opposed to pushing the sensory envelope in church here in Canada.

What Buckhead has done here is not at all philosophically different from what we do at TMH. It's just that they have bigger budgets and can do more. Don't misread me - I mean no judgement or disrepect to Buckhead. They, and the whole Northpoint family, are incredible, and passionate about Jesus, and do a great job of moving people into community, doing life together following Jesus.

What do you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, was this a youth event or a church service? Did it serve the function of integrating into the teaching or bringing people to worship? Those are my questions.

It looks over the top.

I think there is a difference between a high-quality production, and a high-quality super-tricked-out production.

Although I do like the music combo.

I dunno there are too many things that I could go back and forth on.



I am looking forward to what you bring from Africa. Hopefully, we can send you out with an excellent computer. haha.

Unknown said...

Hey guys . . .

There is no doubt that this opener is eye popping. I've been in that room and they are pulling out all the stops for this. That's pretty intense . . .

I deeply respect those guys at Buckhead. Jeff and his team excel at hosting environments for seekers, getting people into groups and releasing people to give to poor. They really are the "best of breed" in the northpoint community.


Rich

Unknown said...

I love the initiative that they are into . . .

http://www.howtoberich.org/

Caroline said...

Hi Jamie!

New reader, old friend. :-) I'm looking forward to reading your blog and catching up with what's new with you!

Caroline (former Iowa corn queen)

Jamie Sanfilippo said...

Hey Caroline

Nice to "see" you on my blog! Hope you enjoy getting inside my twisted mind a little, and learning about my incredible girls!

Where are you these days?

Feel free to drop me an email
jamie.sanfilippo@themeetinghouse.ca

jamie

Jamie Sanfilippo said...

Rich,

Thanks for the howtoberich link! Pretty great stuff! I appreciate seeing their committment to compassion.

No doubt I have immense respect for these guys. I trust they are making wise choices for their community.

Julianne said...

I'm sure these guys have good hearts and are doing good things... and if it's working for their community, that's great.

I have nothing against church production, but in all honesty sometimes I miss the simplicity of church without all that stuff.

But mostly I'm excited that you have the chance to use your skills to make a difference in a continent I also love, and in our community as well. Last week's video was a great example. Thanks for what you do!!

Julianne

(a new blogger who now appreciates leaving people comments! :)

Jamie Sanfilippo said...

I hear you on the "simplicity" thing Julianne. It's kinda of a wierd place to be in for me - the one totally responsible for all the tech and hype of The Meeting House, and then I say that I miss the simplicity. Maybe I don't miss it, but I more appreciate it.

This goes all the way back to the summer when I read "Jim and Casper Go to Church" and I saw how others percieve all our techno-hype.

Plus I have the anticipation of knowing that my family may very soon be doing church in a place with no electricity at all. Seeing the 700+ people at Mtshabezi singing and dancing and enjoying community together in Christ, with no instruments, no sound equipment, no video la-dee-da - that was refreshing to me.

And yet, I'm already figuring our how I can "beam" The Meeting House video program over to us in Africa so that we can track along.

It's a wierd headspace I live in these days. :)

Thanks for your comments, Julianne.