Monday, April 16, 2007

Mourning the dead

I don't know a single one of the 33 people killed today at Virginia Tech. But I mourn their deaths, and cry for their families tonight.

I was feeling sorry for myself today. I had a very unexpected (and expensive) van repair today. That's still painful.

But then I realize just how blessed I am to have my wife and my children safe at home with me at this moment.

What's up with this world that people commit such blatantly horrific acts? Donald Miller describes the problem well in "Blue Like Jazz" - the root of our problem is that we are self-absorbed. This person didn't consider others... he considered his own pain (or whatever the hell his reasons) to be more worthwhile than the 32 (+ families) other lives he destroyed. What a fool! I so want to use other words to describe him, and yet, I am called to love my enemies. I'm having difficulty... and I wasn't even personally affected.

I simply cannot imagine the pain of losing one of my children. I don't know how people live with the grief.

*sigh*

No comments: