Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The things that matter to me...

You can see a short-list of some things that I care about if you read my profile. But I thought it might be nice to start with a little more about that. Let's look at those people and things that I actually pour my energy into.

1) My girls.
Man am I lucky. Sorry - is "blessed" the more Christian-correct term? Okay - fine - I'm blessed. I get to share life with 3 incredible girls.

a) Arja-Lisa: My beautiful wife. Here is a woman that I had a great friendship with for two intense summers back in the mid-90s... and then somehow, I invited her to spend a week in Omaha, and WHAM - we were in love. Where does the time go? 8.5 years of marriage later, and things change... but I still love her like crazy. What a cutie - long blonde hair, blue eyes, fair skin - yep - that's my non-Finnish Fin. She's my friend, and she's the mom of my little girls. And man is she gracious to me. Thanks for putting up with me, babe! I love you!

b) Kanah: my first-born, my peanut. Another blonde hair, blue eye, fair skinned cutie. She's a "little Arja", but somehow she got my personality. Have you met her? You should. I'm absolutely crazy about her. She's so much fun. She is very creative. She is the artist of the family. She's the dancer, too. And what a brain in her head. Poor kid acts just like me, though. We butt heads because we are so alike.

c) Talya: my little one, my monkey. Somehow, this little one looks like me, and yet she's gorgeous. Don't ask me how that combination exists. Man, do I love my little monkey! She's the snuggler of the family. Like her sister, she's a little brainiac! She's 3 and talks like she's 10. (Oh yeah, and has the attitude to go with it.) Not a day goes by that I don't chuckle at something she says. She's got a fireball temper... again, she's like her daddy.

I think I'm known around the office as being a little over-the-top crazy about my girls. I'll take that label. I'll admit - I work alot. I work hard. But I sure do value my time with my girls. I wouldn't trade any of them for the world!!!

And ya know what - I'm content with them. Take everything else away but leave me my girls, and I'd be happy. Something nutty about the relationship between a dad and his girls! I'm sure there will be lots more to read about these 3 wonderful women....

Okay... what else is important to me....

2) My God.
Although the dynamic of that has changed many times over the years of my life, it remains a constant thread. God called me out as a young kid. He revealed himself to me in unique ways. I've never forgotten that. At times, my relationship with him has been passionate, emotional, on fire. Other times, it's more intellectual. I'm kinda in that season now. I don't seem to relate to God on a passionate level... and honestly, I grieve that. But no matter how I relate to him, he's a constant and solid force in my life. There is nothing I long to do more than to serve God with the abilities he's given me. I admit that I don't always honour him... but I sure try.

3) My work.
Apart from loving and caring for my girls, my biggest way of honouring God is through my work. I have the joy of serving a very incredible church community called The Meeting House. Basically, I lead the volunteer teams that keep all the sound/video/lighting production rolling. I get to play with gear, create lots of cool media, and work with some incredible volunteers. It's not what I thought I would be doing when I graduated with a degree in missiology. But it's a wild ride and I'm enjoying it.

Now come the lesser things that don't require so much explanation....

- Music - I used to be a crazy-busy musician. Now my drum kit hasn't left the cases in ages. sigh But I still love music. For the past 2 years, I've had a love affair with U2.

- Paddling - I fell in love with kayaking a few years ago. Give me a peaceful river, a boat and some dehydrated food for a few days, and I'm a happy boy. I finally get my own boat this year. Can't wait to learn more - I really am a rookie. Someday, I hope to have a boat for each of us in the family, and I hope that we all take an annual paddle-trip together. There's something other-worldly about being on a river, apart from civilization... enjoying all the beauty God has created. It's hard work, and it feels awesome.

Everything else is just the candy of life. I love driving, swimming, reading, playing catch with a baseball, playing at the park with the girls, going to a good concert, cooking a good meal, taking a hot shower, sitting by the fire, going to the beach. I love date nights with my wife (going out, or sitting watching LOST together), and breakfast dates with my daughters. I love travel, and I love coming home. I enjoy calling a live show with 6 cameras, and I love teaching others how to call a show. I love Latin America. I love a tall bold coffee from Starbucks, and a tall cold beer from a pub! I love onion rings, burgers, steak, fried mozzarella sticks, potatoes and fresh corn or peas (not all in the same meal!). I'm happy to have grown up in the US, but I LOVE living in Canada. I love hanging out with my brother talking about cars/boats/religion, and I love having a beer with my father and chatting about computers. (Much to his pleasure, I'm turning into a Mac-freak!) I love music that kicks you in the teeth, rattles your cage, or makes you cry. I love to play a funky backbeat with a get-your-mojo-on bass player. I love people that care about people. I love it when people give sacrifically. I love it when people care about something so much that they'll die for it. I love it when people find they have abilities they knew nothing about. I love helping unleash those abilities. More and more, I love simplicity.

I guess I love life.

1 comment:

Chad Vice said...

Craziness! Reading through some of your first blogs and your profile, I realized how many things we had in common.

In no particular order, here are some favorites that we share:

Favorite movies include M. Night Shyamalan (especially "Signs"), the Matrix, LoTR.

Favorite shows: LOST

Favorite music: (need I even cover the ground, after we attended so many concerts together?) Rush, Yes, Dream Theater, U2, King's X.

Favorite books: The Word of God (Ok, I had to put it in there, cause you didn't!), many C.S. Lewis Books, Tolkien.

Recreation/Interests: God (obviously!) and keeping church relevant and impacting for this generation; family (#4 is due in March!); paddling (yes, just got my boat this month for my birthday!), music (piano, keyboards, nasty fat Hammond organs, and now software synths on the Mac), Latin America, coffee and beer, and Macs (I have an iBook).

Pretty amazing how we've had similar interests through the years, even after we don't hang out like we did during those days of Zeleaous Evangelistic Radicals of the Savior!

Nice start to your blog, man! It was good to hear what you've been up to. :-)

Chad