Saturday, January 27, 2007

Grace Interrupting Karma

Bono, on the song "Grace", final song on "All That You Can't Leave Behind"...

"The universe operates by Karma, we all know that. For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. There is some atonement built in: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Then enters Grace and turns that upside down. I love it. I'm not talking about people being graceful in their actions but just covering over the cracks. Christ's ministry really was a lot to do with pointing out how everybody is a screw-up in some shape or form, there's no way around it. But then He was to say, 'Well, I am going to deal with those things for you. I will take on Myself all the consequences of sin." Even if you're not religious I think you'd accept that there are consequences to all the mistakes we make. And so Grace enters the picture to say, 'I'll take the blame, I'll carry your cross.' It is a powerful idea. Grace interrupting Karma."

Thanks Bono. I'm not so sure about the idea of "Christ pointing out how everybody is a screw-up in some shape or form". I think that is a bit of a stretch. Sure, he did that often when confronting the "religious right" of the day, but I wouldn't suggest that was a main thrust of his purpose.

I've never thought of putting the two concepts of Grace vs. Karma together like that. An interesting angle to discuss with a Buddhist. (Since I have so many of those conversations!) I did once know a girl who labelled herself a "Buddhist Christian"... not sure what that meant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to interpret what exactly he meant by that, but it could be taken in another context. The only word that could contradict this thinking is the Christ's ministry really "was". That would lead me to believe Bono is speaking of actual real time when Christ was teaching in the flesh prior crucifiction... anyway, bear with me here. What if Bono is trying to point out that the mere precense of one's conscious (a conscious based upon his ministries that would previously go unchecked) is enough to point out one's faults. The human mind is a fascinating and complex thing. Imagine trying to unlock the depths of the sub-conscious mind. Now imagine that these "depths" aren't really a mystery, but simply the Lord's voice speaking simultaniously with our own. It's arguable that this was not Bono's point as he is articulate enough to portray is thoughts well. It's certainly food for thought regardless.